Project and Acquisition Finance
Since its establishment in December 2007, Abuda Asis & Associates has been engaged as legal advisor and counsel in several groundbreaking project finance transactions in the Philippines. With a specialized practice in project and acquisition finance, the firm has helped corporations and other institutions to finance the development, construction and operation of power and infrastructure projects that are instrumental in improving the lives of Filipinos.
Legal Advice and Representation for Project Finance
The firm represents leading commercial banks in the Philippines and abroad as well as international agencies in connection with the financing of several landmark transactions principally in the conventional and renewable energy sectors in the Philippines. The firm also acts as counsel for the lenders in connection with the financing of the acquisition of assets and equity investments in local enterprises operating across a wide array of industries. As lead counsel for the lenders and/or lender syndicates, the firm’s services include the following:
- Reviewing and advising on the regulatory and other legal aspects of power and other projects for financing purposes
- Performing due diligence reviews on the project
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing the financing documents for these projects such as loan facility agreements, mortgages, pledges and other security agreements, as well as ancillary documents necessary for the transaction
- Assisting clients in resolving issues that may come up in project financing
Landmark Special Projects
Abuda Asis & Associates has represented various lenders in project finance transactions in a broad spectrum of sectors. Here are some of the firm’s award-winning deals as the lenders’ legal counsel:
- The US$720 million greenfield financing facility to GN Power Mariveles Coal Plant Ltd. Co. for its 600MW coal-fired power project, which received Deal of the Year awards from six publications in 2010
- The US$425 million notes issuance and bond placement for Quezon Power Philippines Limited, which was awarded 2011 Best Structured Loan Deal in Southeast Asia by the Alpha Southeast Asia Deal and Solutions Awards
- The PhP33.21 billion project finance facility to Pagbilao Energy Corp. for the financing of its 400MW expansion plant, which garnered Deal of the Year awards from four different publications in 2014
- The financing of the 455MW San Buenaventura Power Project, which was awarded 2015 Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year by Project Finance International
- The financing of the 54MW Guimaras wind project and the 54MW Pililla wind project, which are among the first wind projects to close under the Renewable Energy Act of 2008
- The financing of the landmark LRT 1 Cavite extension project, which was awarded the Asia-Pacific Infrastructure Deal of the Year (2016) from Project Finance International
Abuda Asis & Associates recently ranked first among Philippine legal advisers by IJ Global (formerly the Infrastructure Journal and Project Finance) based on the aggregate value of energy and infrastructure deals from July 2015 to June 2016.
With the law firm’s project finance and acquisition finance services, many companies have been able to build and operate projects which contribute to national growth and development. Presently, the firm handles a number of project finance transactions involving deals which will be beneficial to its clients and the Philippines in general.